Saturday, January 28, 2012

First Annual Fenway Chili Cookoff

Cook-offs and food festivals- awwwww yeahhhh.

I like myself a good cook-off or food festival especially when they're reasonably priced. $10 to try chili from 7 of the local hot spots sounds like a good time to me. Hurray for the first ever Fenway Chili Cook-off hosted by Church. I apologize in advance that some of the pictures are not as appetizing, but it's not easy to take a picture in a crowded bar with poor lighting.

Round 1: Church
This was their take on a "turducken", or at least that was how it was explained to me. The dark part was the duck and mole chili which was absolutely delicious. The cheddar crisp was good, too. Tasted nothing like a turducken and possibly not really like a chili, but this was by far my favorite.

Round 2: Fenway Park
Traditional chili served with cheese, scallions, sour cream and tortilla chips. They swear they serve it at the park, but I've never seen it. Pretty good for park food and I would get it.

Round 3: Sweet Cheeks BBQ

Smoked chicken chili with a cilantro and mint chutney. I love that the chicken was super smokey and I love that Tiffany Faison (from top chef and also owner of Sweet Cheeks Q) was there serving her chili. Welcome to the neighborhood! Love having a BBQ place right in Fenway!

Round 4: Thorton's
The new (old) bar in town dished out a traditional chili (which is served on their menu). Not bad, not great, but something I'd order at the bar on a cold day.

Round 5: Remy's Bar & Grill
This was Joe's favorite. Traditional chili, but done well. It had deep flavor and it was a little bit spicy. Joe says he would definitely order this at the Rem Dawg's.

Round 6: Sweet Caroline
Another traditional chili, but there wasn't anything special about it. Not sure if the cheese to chili ratio was off, or that I just had taste bud orgasm from the prior chilis, but it was a little thin and lacked a strong flavor.

Round 7: Tasty Burger/ Citizens
According to the chef behind the table, this chili was made from a whole roasted hog. It was topped with home made cheese whiz (cheese sauce in an aerator can) and fried pig ears (which really creeped out the girl in front of me). I loved the crunchiness of the fried pig ear, but the cheese sauce didn't impress me. I like the pork flavor, but as Joe and I have noticed, based on our last dining experience and our chili, the food at Citizens is really salty! 

A little crowded at Church, but a really good time and I'm happy I got to go. Can't wait for them to do it again next year, hopefully some other restaurants will participate! 

We made sure to get our votes in before we left:
 Hurray for chili on a cold day!

Also, as a side note: Rod Dee 2 in Fenway is finally open! I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment