I'm not usually much of a baker, but I always crave biscotti.
I finally have what I consider the perfect recipe figured out.
1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 cup sliced almonds
3/4 granulated sugar
1/3 butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 tsp grated zest (can be orange, lemon, or lime!)
1 egg white, lightly beaten (for brushing on top)
1. In one bowl mix flour, baking powder, and almonds. In another bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, almond extract, and zest. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to lightly floured surface and create a smooth ball.
2. Divide dough in half and form each into a log 12 inches long and about 2 1/2 wide. Transfer to a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
3. Brush tops with egg whites thoroughly and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes and then cut the log into 3/4 in. slices. Return to baking sheet in an upright position. Bake for another 30 minutes.
5. Let them cool and enjoy, you can store these for up to two weeks in an airtight container (but they'll probably dissapear in 3-4 days).