Sunday, September 25, 2011

Brown Bag Challenge: Week 4

We’re teaming up with fellow food bloggers to host a Brown-Bag Challenge, a month-long initiative to eat consciously and save money by packing a lunch each weekday instead of eating out. Join us here and share what you're eating on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtag #brownbag.

Monday: Brown rice with spicy basil Japanese eggplant, kabocha (Japanese pumpkin), and edamame. Brought leftovers from the night before. I'm a big fan of kabocha, not only is it delicious, a 3/4 cup of it is only 30 calories (according to caloriecount.com). My favorite way to make it is to saute a little bit of ginger and then add chunks of the squash. Add some water and put a lid on and steam it until it's soft and season it with salt.

Tuesday: Corn and pork dumplings from the night before. I'm currently experimenting with different types of dumpling (I usually make pork and cabbage or pork and leek) so these were a little different.

Wednesday: Butternut squash soup with crackers. The weather is starting to get cold, and that signals the start of soup and chili season.

Thursday: Kabocha with Asian pear braised beef. I had some more kabocha left in the fridge so I paired the delicious squash with the braised beef I had made for tacos for dinner earlier in the week.

Friday: A turkey, Swiss cheese, red lettuce, and Dijon mustard sandwich. I don't love sandwiches, but when I have no time to pack anything but a sandwich, a little Dijoin and Swiss cheese makes things a little better.

Entering this last week of brown bag lunch packing and my first week of "dieting", I'm hoping that the trend of bringing my lunch will help me eat healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment