Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 1: Brown Bag Lunch Challenge


In an attempt to eat healthier and save some money, I've decided to participate in Food Network's Healthy Eat's Brown Bag Challenge. For the month of September, I'll be "brown-bagging" it to work everyday!

I kept it simple today: leftovers from the night before and snacks. In general, I like to eat something hot, so I'd much rather eat reheated leftovers than a cold sandwich. The leftovers I brought were spicy basil eggplant, tomatoes and eggs, and some white rice. I packed it with some trail mix, four cut up nectarines (I really like fruit), and a Fage yogurt (the current household favorite).
To make the spicy basil eggplant, you chop up the eggplant (3 Japanese eggplants) into chunks (diagram for rolling chunks is in process!) and set aside. In a pan, heat up a little bit of vegetable oil and add garlic and Thai chili peppers until fragrant. You can adjust the spiciness for your own preference. Then, add the eggplant and saute until the eggplant is soft (you can add a little bit of water to the pan to help it out). When it is almost done, add basil (large handful), soy sauce (2-3T), sugar (2T), and sesame oil (1t) and cook until most of the moisture has been absorbed by the eggplant. The dish should be spicy, sweet, fragrant, and delicious! To make the tomato and eggs click here: Tomato & Eggs.

Tomorrow: Refrigerator Salad day (aka, where all my leftover veggies make a wonderful salad!)

No comments:

Post a Comment