Saturday, March 21, 2015

Recipe: What the 'Nduja?

I'm standing in line at Murray's Cheese Shop (this is something that happens often) and the guy in front of me says "Let me get a half pound of that 'Nduja (pronounced: nooja)". Of course I want in on this "nooja" so I order a 1/4 lb myself with zero idea of what I just ordered.

I look at the guy behind the counter, and I ask "What did I just order and what am I going to do with it?" I'm told to use it like chorizo (the crumbly kind, not the kind you serve with cheese).

So I finally go home and look up 'Nduja, which is described as a "spicy, spreadable pork sausage from Italy", or as I like to think of it, the chorizo of Italy.

So what's a girl supposed to do with the 'Nduja she acquired? What she always does: make tacos. Breakfast tacos to be exact.

Teenage 'Njuda Breakfast Tacos!
What the 'Njuda Breakfast Tacos
Makes about 6 tacos total.

Ingredients:

  • Salsa (tomatoes, red onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, lime, and salt)
  • Cucumber
  • ¼ lb. of 'Njuda
  • 4 eggs (pull out a couple of the yolks if you're watching your cholesterol)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper
  • 1/2 onion (I like spanish, but whatever is lying around is fine)
  • 6 corn tortillas (not flour, because flour is gummy)
  • Extra cilantro and onions
  • Shredded cheese (optional, but not really if you live in my household)
Prepare your salsa (or open a jar). Slice cucumbers into rounds. Dice bell pepper and onion. Throw 'Nduja into a hot pan and break it up with your spatula. I like to sop up some of the oil as it starts to cook, but that's just me. Once the meat is browned, add the bell pepper and onion and saute until both are tender (onions should be translucent). Scramble and add your eggs and cook until just cooked (overcooked eggs are not good, so don't dry them out!). I don't usually add salt since the 'Nduja is salty enough for me, but feel free to season to taste. Toast your tortillas on a cast iron or open flame and assemble! Now eat breakfast like a boss!


'Nduja power!

No comments:

Post a Comment