Monday, December 6, 2010

Island Creek Oyster Bar (Boston)

As a side note, I'll have to update about Thanksgiving later, as I left my camera in Jersey and have no pictures to upload. Also- a recipe update will come soon as I have some ready to go, but not the time to draw my wonderous charts...but this weekend, I promise a big update.

For now though, I thought I'd comment on my wonderful dinner at Island Creek Oyster Bar in Kenmore Square.

Picture courtesy of Zagat.com
Island Creek Oyster Bar
500 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
(617) 532-5300

Last weekend I met up with my friend Lucia for dinner at the Island Creek Oyster Bar in Kenmore and I was not disappointed. We started out with dozen oysters from around the country- all of which were fresh and flavorful. The local ones were salty and briney, while the ones from California were kind of sweet, all of them delicious in their own way.

I followed up the oysters with their oyster stew (served with brown bread) and their fried oyster sliders (oyster overkill much?). The fried oyster sliders served on brioche with lime aioli were only mediocre. There was a bit too much breading on the oyster and the fried outer shell combined with the buttery brioche and the creamy aioli was a little too heavy for me and the flavor of the oysters didn't come through. The stew on the other hand was absolutely fabulous. I was afraid at first the andouille sausage would overpower the oysters, they were actually a perfect compliment. The slightly creamy stew had a rich seafood flavor which was perfectly paired with saltiness of the andouille sausage and sweetness of the brown bread. Everything in the bowl was balance perfectly and the soup wasn't heavy at all despite its appearance. I would absolutely order that bowl of stew again.

Lucia ordered the trout which she seemed to enjoy as well.

We finished off with milk and cookies for dessert, which is not something I would typically order at a restaurant, but it sounded like a good option. The milk was interesting as it was frothed with ice and the cookies were warm and comforting. The only thing that lacked superbness was the brownie which was dry and boring. The chocolate peanut cookie was chewie, while the cranberry ginger cookie had a distinct (in a pleasant way) flavor.

Overall I was impressed with my meal here and would definitely come back.

I've recently decided to implement a rating system based on one my high school teachers. On a scale of 1-10, I give the Island Creek Oyster Bar 8 spoons of soy sauce!




No comments:

Post a Comment