Thursday, November 3, 2016

"Lactation" Cookies a.k.a Feel-Good Oatmeal Cookies

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, I'm trying to breastfeed and haven't been able to produce enough milk. Everyone has a theory on how to produce more milk:
  • Grandma says to drink soup
  • Mom says to drink soup and eat papaya
  • The lovely lady who's daughter owns my Saturday donut bakery said to eat apples
  • Friends suggested lactation cookies / eating oatmeal
I did a little research, there's not much science to any of the above. Really all you can do is pump / feed more to create more supply (your boobs believe in economic equilibrium, they produce as much supply as there is demand).

But that didn't stop me from making these cookies. I tweaked a couple of recipes I found online and came up with the below. Really, it's all about adding some "nutritional" value to cookies and all the cookies were oatmeal based. While they probably aren't helping me produce much milk, they are a great quick snack!



"I'll Make a Cow Out of You" Cookies
  • 1 1/2 C Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • 3/4 C AP Flour
  • 3 T Nutritional Yeast (Optional)
  • 2 T Ground Flaxseed (Optional)
  • 2 T Wheat Germ (Optional)
  • 1/4 t Baking Powder
  • 1/4 t Baking Soda
  • 1 t Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/4 t Kosher Salt
  • 6 T Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
  • 2 T Coconut Oil (or an additional 2 T of Butter)
  • 1/4 C Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 C White Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 T Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 C Dark Chocolate Chips
  • 1/4 C Unsweetened Coconut (Optional)
  • 1/3 C Chopped Walnuts (Optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together oats, flour, yeast, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. In a larger bowl, cream together butter and coconut oil. Once mixed, add the sugar and beat until "fluffy". Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients (1/4 of the mixture at a time) to keep it from flying everywhere. Once it's all combined, using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix in the chocolate chips, coconut and walnuts (you can substitute any of the mix-ins for whatever you like). I use a cookie scoop, but if you don't have one, I'd make about a 1 in. size ball and squish it half way down (these cookies don't really spread). Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool for a minute before letting them fully cool on a wire rack. I store these for about a week (and by store, I mean, I will eat them over the course of a week).

They're an easier sell to others if you don't call them lactation cookies. Joe eats one every day.



"Who is Mom? I'm just happy to see my Cow"


No comments:

Post a Comment